We have a number of different ducks here at Patchwork Farm including Indian Runners – a breed of domestic duck that stands erect like a penguin and runs instead of waddling.
- Ducks are found on every continent except for Antarctica.
- A male duck is called a drake, a female duck a hen, and a baby duck a duckling.
- A common urban legend is that a ducks quack does not echo. This has however, been proven to be false.
- All ducks have highly waterproof feathers due to the feathers interlocking nature and waxy coating.
- A duck’s bill is specialised to help it forage in mud and to strain food from the water.
- Ducks feet have no nerves or blood vessels, meaning that their feet do not feel the cold.
- Ducks have three eyelids.
- Some ducks can fly up to 332 miles in one day.
Sponsor a Duck
You can help support Patchwork Farm by sponsoring an animal. Find out more here.