Senior Support Worker
Location North Chailey, East Sussex
Application Deadline 2 February 2021
Chailey Heritage Foundation is a pioneering charity providing education, care and transition planning for young people aged 3-25 with complex physical disabilities and health needs.
Our aim is to provide a stimulating and inclusive environment where all young people are given every opportunity to make progress towards fulfilment and develop life skills in preparation for adulthood.
We are seeking……a Senior Support Worker
Working 37 hours per week on aggregate, the successful candidate will assist the manager with the operational delivery of a residential and/or respite service. They will lead and direct others to provide person centred support to children and young adults with physical disabilities and complex health needs, in order to promote independence and personal fulfilment.
Description of role
- To work alongside the manager to ensure that the home is run in line CQC and/or Ofsted requirements.
- In the context of CHF’s Policies and Procedures, to lead the team ensuring provision of personalised support to children and young adults.
- To lead shifts as designated, ensuring that policies and procedures are adhered to and that required records are kept
- To ensure that all children and young adults have a comprehensive and detailed Person Centred Plan (to include Health Plans), that is regularly reviewed and updated as necessary.
- To ensure that all children and young adults are included and consulted in anything and everything to do with their daily living.
- To facilitate a safe, homely, welcoming environment for children and young adults and to immediately address anything that may be detrimental to this.
- To work alongside the manager and ensure that the health needs of children and young adults are monitored and to work alongside Chailey Heritage Clinical Services to ensure the best outcome for each individual.
- To work in close liaison with staff from other bungalows, and to be part of the rota for the 24 hour bag, and the emergency on-call rota to cover nights.
- To gain knowledge of the different methods of communication used and to ensure that staff make proper use of them in order to enable and empower children and young adults to be heard and understood.
- Prepare and administer medication and gastrostomy feeds (once trained and assessed as competent)
- To support (once trained and assessed) the health needs of the young people as necessary in regard to their specific requirements, such as epilepsy, suction, oxygen etc. We are particularly interetsed in people who have experience of, or are willing to learn, skills in Long Term Ventilation/Tracheostomies
- To plan and implement regular staff supervisions, performance management and annual appraisals as delegated by the manager. To act as a role model and to provide coaching and mentoring to staff.
- To ensure that policies and procedures are adhered to and that required records are kept such that a complete audit trail can be evidenced.
- To ensure that stringent safeguarding procedures are followed regarding children and young adult’s possessions and money (such as cash, bank cards etc.).
- To drive the minibus (once trained and assessed as competent) to enable the young people and adults to take part in community activities and trips, and attend medical appointments.
- To ensure personal aids and equipment are maintained in good order and always ready for use when necessary.
- Must have or be willing to learn competency in the use of information technology (emails, Internet, Word, etc.) and be able to assist children and young adults when they require support with their electronic aids and devices.
- Enhancing children and young adult’s lives by supporting the fulfilment of leisure activities which may include hydrotherapy and swimming. Above all, we are looking for an individual with the following:
- A good understanding of and the ability to abide by health & safety guidelines and ensure others do the same
- To m aintain excellent communication with our Clinical Care service at all times
- To develop good working relationships with all members of staff and the people we support
- You will have a passion for ensuring that the residents of Chailey Heritage Foundation have enriched and fulfilled lives.
Why join us?
Strictly no Agencies
Chailey Heritage Foundation is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young adults; as such an enhanced DBS disclosure is required.
Chailey Heritage Foundation is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to promoting diversity and inclusion for all its young people and staff. We welcome applications from all sections of the community.