In the days when 'online' or bargain price Will writing services are actively being promoted by different service providers, it is important to remember that the preparation of a Will is a highly specialised area of the law. All kinds of companies offer Will writing services but they do not necessarily have the level of expertise and qualifications of a solicitor.
Solicitors don’t just aim to ensure that their clients’ wishes are carried out but many also provide a personal and specialist service.
When you choose to ask a solicitor to write your Will, a good solicitor will:
• Take details of all your assets and liabilities as well as details of family members. By doing so, they can fully advise you on Inheritance Tax mitigation and asset protection. They can advise you upon any potential claims against your estate and how to manage the risks associated with this.
• Provide specialist support and an initial face to face meeting.
• Prepare a draft Will for your consideration which they will go through with you, giving you the option to make any amendments or changes required.
• Provide you with the chance to have a second appointment to supervise the signing and witnessing of your Will to make sure that it complies with the legal formalities of the Wills Act.
• Offer free storage for all original Wills.
All these services are included when you book a Will writing service with Griffith Smith in Hassocks.
This blog post has been produced by Emma Weir from Griffith Smith LLP in Hassocks, who are kindly supporting Chailey Heritage Foundation’s Make a Will Fortnight. Running from 10th to 21st September 2018, you can make an appointment with a professional solicitor to have your Will written, or have basic changes made to your Will. By taking advantage of this opportunity, you can choose to make a donation to Chailey Heritage Foundation instead of paying the usual fees that you would incur.
Read our full list of participating solicitors in Sussex and Kent, and details about the scheme at www.chf.org.uk/wills.
Limited appointments are available, so make sure you don’t miss out.